Re: Buzzing Sound

Subject: Re: Buzzing Sound
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 20:53:08 MST

MacDSmith2@aol.com wrote:

> My blue and white G3 buzzes

Could be several things. It could be the monitor running at a low
horizonal frequency (such as 60 Hz), or for some reason some junk making
it's way into the sound card.

> when I boot up Linux kernel 2.2.6 (YDL 1.1 version).

Wrong Mailing List!

If you are interesting in a linux-pmac related subject, please use a
linux-pmac related list (this is mklinux-setup, MkLinux is a version of
Linux 2.0.36 that runs ontop of Mach Kernel 3.0). A good list for issues
with Yellow Dog Linux is yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com, I
am also CC: this message to this list.

> And the buzzing follows the mouse!

hmm... I have heard of this before, but I am not sure what this is.

> Also the sound panel for window sounds doesn't do anything when I try to "test"
> wav sound files.

If you are using a stock YDL 1.1 distro you may have some problems with
GNOME sounds or E Sounds, since some of the sound packages have problems
on PowerPCs (which have big endian processsors and little endian sound
-- which in old versions of GNOME/ESD confused them).

> Anybody have sound problems?

Things to try is, first boot into runlevel 3 (no X Logon Screen -- xdm).
Log in as root. Try dumping some wave files to /dev/dsp to see if they
play using this command:

cat somemusic.wav > /dev/dsp

You should here music playing without static. If you here it, but it's
really static, try using aumix to adjust sound levels and then dump a
text file to /dev/dsp (with speakers disconnected since the static sound
is painful and could distroy speakers!)

cat /etc/fstab > /dev/dsp

And keep playing with this... I find this can help alot. Also try
remaking your audio devices, this command does the trick:

cd /dev;./MAKEDEV audio

Finally, keep playing... you should eventually get some good sounding
sound from the command line. When you want to play sounds in YDL, you
need to upgrade to a newer version of GNOME and possibly even kill esd.

Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net