can't log in as root

Subject: can't log in as root
MacPiano@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 19:22:48 MST

I switched to another server and transferred 10 gigs of info. Somewhere in
the process of tarring my etc/passwd or /etc/shadow and etc/group files I can
no longer log in as anyone not root not my user name nothing. I tried without
password nothing. Fortunately My client's files were on the tape and that
transferred fine to the second box that I want to use and I was able to give
the users passwords (but only after I gave them a group identity-why is
that?) and I even copied my etc/atalk files and everything work fine. But how
do I acces my old box? On an IBM I could starts up with a boot disk and edit
the etc/passwd file but how do I do it on a mac.

Gary hostetler