Re: YDL on blueg3

Subject: Re: YDL on blueg3
From: Oscar Göthberg (oscargot@swipnet.se)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 08:01:36 MST

>Second, you can switch to Xpmac, which is accelerated for the Rage 128 and
>the skimpy ATI card that came in my beige G3. Every so often, someone complains
>about a bug in Xpmac. I have, in my two weeks of running YDL, yet to see any
>of these bugs. Instructions are at http://www.linuxppc.org/blueg3

Well, I decided to try Xpmac, the new rev 8 version. I upgraded the kernel from 2.2.6 to 2.2.12 (found that one on a "MacWorld Expo 2000 Tasty morsels" CD I got with my YDL cds).

With this new kernel, Linux actually boots even when I uncheck the "No Video Driver" checkbox, but it seems stuck in the ugly 640x480@60 hz resolution and refuses to start Xwindows (Xpmac):

--------------------
Running in mode=0, depth=0; req mode=0 depth=0
Using VT number 7
Mapped frame buffer (physaddr 0x0 size 0x10) at 0x3001400
Bad depth in pmacBlackScreen

Fatal server error:
Encountered bogus depth: 0
X connection to: 0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

If I do check the "No Video Driver" checkbox in BootX, it keeps my Mac OS resolution (1024x768@90 hz) but still won't start X, complaining about missing fonts etc.

-- Oscar Göthberg, oscargot@swipnet.se --