Re: Lan City Cable Modems?

Subject: Re: Lan City Cable Modems?
From: Pete Langlois (pete@contourdesign.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 07:55:45 MST

How did you get a new box? They just sent it to you? Does the Toshiba
have a console port? I tried messing with the LanCity modems and could
never get more than 3.0mbit out of it. Even though they are rated at
10mbit. The head units would not allow more than 3mbit downstream.

At 04:44 PM 1/22/00 -0500, you wrote:

>I just mailed my old Lan City cable modem back to MediaOne after they sent
>the snazzy new Toshiba DOCSIS cable modem out in the mail. I had no trouble
>running the old modem under linux, though. When I first tried networking
>over cable modem, I was running a standard install of Linux lite off a zip
>disk without X-Windows. As root, I just typed dhcpcd at the prompt and we
>were off to the races. It picked up an IP address in a couple of seconds.
>
>Actually, now I remember I had to get a more recent version of dhcpcd to
>make this work but this shouldn't be an issue if you are using fixed
>addresses. Just for fun, I did once configure the network using as fixed
>addresses the addresses that had been picked up by dhcpcd before. That
>worked fine, too. I had heard that that (using fixed addressing when the
>ISP was using DHCP) was a bad idea, so I switched back to dhcpcd. Anyway,
>that would suggest that there are no deep conflicts between Lan City modems
>and linuxppc.

Pete Langlois
Contour Design, Inc.
603-893-4556 Ext. 31
http://www.contourdesign.com
pete@contourdesign.com

Please when replying do not cut out all of the message out. I have no way
of knowing what you are refering too when you do. Thank you.