Re: Lan City Cable Modems?

Subject: Re: Lan City Cable Modems?
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 22:29:02 MST

Pete Langlois wrote:

> How did you get a new box? They just sent it to you? Does the Toshiba
> have a console port? I tried messing with the LanCity modems and could
> never get more than 3.0mbit out of it. Even though they are rated at
> 10mbit. The head units would not allow more than 3mbit downstream.

Snip

> >Actually, now I remember I had to get a more recent version of dhcpcd to
> >make this work but this shouldn't be an issue if you are using fixed
> >addresses. Just for fun, I did once configure the network using as fixed
> >addresses the addresses that had been picked up by dhcpcd before. That
> >worked fine, too. I had heard that that (using fixed addressing when the
> >ISP was using DHCP) was a bad idea, so I switched back to dhcpcd. Anyway,
> >that would suggest that there are no deep conflicts between Lan City modems
> >and linuxppc.
>
> Pete Langlois

Snip

I've resolved the issue with the lan city modem. It turned out to be a problem
with using 2 identical ne2000 ethernet cards. Apparrently linux in general has
problems with some of the older drivers being used at the same time. I found a
work around in the ethernet how-tos, but the only solution turned out to be
using cards which used different drivers.

--
Neil Jolly
Coming at you from Yellowdog Linux - another MICRO~1 free OS!