Setting up an appropriate Development Machine

Subject: Setting up an appropriate Development Machine
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 04:10:41 MST

Ok. Enough fooling around with installers. It's time to set up the
pins so I can start bowling! What follows are user questions about
development environments in linux. (the user is a programmer)

I want to set up a test environment for various pieces of linux
software. The problem I'm facing right now is in tcpserver, a part of
the ucpsi-0.84 package A call to getservbyname is apparently returning
a null when it should be returning an address of a structure containing
information about the desired port. (parameters are name and connection
type, in this case smtp and tcp).

I'm not looking for an answer to why the call is returning null, but an
answer to the question of how best to find that out for myself.

What steps should one take to get a machine set up to debug a module
that calls a routine that is in glibc, where the problem may be in the
caller or in glibc? I'd like to be able to step right into debug
versions of both the package I'm working on and glibc and anything else
that's important that I don't know about yet.

Can I just grab the sources of a glibc program, put it somewhere,
compile it with debug and somehow get it to link with the program that
calls it? How do you do that?

What do you keep in your develoment environment that doesn't come
straight off the "install everything" option in Red Hat aka LinuxPPC or
YDL CS CDs

Are there any library comaptibility issues with different versions of
glibc (at one point I installed a new glibc version and everything
seemed to break. I've been skittish about upgrading it ever since.)

Is there a cookbook for setting up development environments?

-Pat