Re: linux no longer boots :(

Subject: Re: linux no longer boots :(
From: Josh Forman (josh@joshforman.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 08:35:59 MST

on 1/26/2000 4:36 AM, Graham Leggett at minfrin@sharp.fm wrote:

> Josh Forman wrote:
>
>> Uh-oh...major probs here... Linux isn't even booting fully anymore...
>
> Linux refuses to start up if your filesystem doesn't pass is consistency
> check. If the automatic fix procedure doesn't work, then it will ask you
> to fix it manually.
>
>> First it says the filesystem with errors was found (my root fs)....check
>> forced...(that's nothing new)
>
> If that's not new to you then there's a problem - are you shutting down
> your machine correctly after you are finished with it, or are you just
> pulling the plug? If you don't go through a proper shutdown, you can
> cause filesystem damage, which seems to have happened here. The same
> goes for any OS, Unix, NT, whatever.
I shut it down normally. I just meant that I had seen it before.

>> then it says something about an inconsistency found (in CAPS!) and tha t I
>> should run fsck "manually" I try that and it just spits out a version line
>> or something.
>>
>> Before I tried fsck, it says give root password for routine maintenance, or
>> hit control-d for normal startup. I tried the control-D and it shuts down
>> almost instantly.
>
> And did you enter your root password for routine maintenance? When you
> do that, you get dropped into a shell so that you can fix the problem
> manually.
yeah, I put in the root pw, and then type "fsck" - all I get is a version
line - -h doesn't give any help.

if that's not what I am supposeed to do, please tell me what I *am* supposed
to do.

Thanks.

--
Josh Forman

Webmaster, joshforman.com Palm stuff, Mac stuff, Josh stuff, other stuff Reviews, resources and more!

http://www.joshforman.com/