X server problems

Subject: X server problems
From: Geoff Council (geoff@studio-a.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 13:36:22 MST

I have a PowerTower Pro 225 that I have been running YDL CS1.1 on since
November without any big problems. However, I did a re-install to rid
myself of some unfortunate partitioning decisions, and have had no luck
with getting X server to run. When it launches, the desktop under KDE or
Gnome is larger than the screen resolution and therefore scrolls all
over the place. In addition, there is garbage, duplicate windows etc.
all over the screen during and after screen scrolls. I tried checking
the No Video Driver option in BootX, but then when it tries to launch X,
I get the following error that I can only read if I hit Scroll Lock on
the keyboard, otherwise it just keeps cycling ad nauseum:

                        Fatal server error
                        No valid modes found

What can I do to get my desktop back?

--