Re: CD Burning

Subject: Re: CD Burning
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 06:03:42 MST

At 12:12 AM -0600 1/28/00, Phil Kirschner wrote:
>Hey all. Could somebody just tell me how complicated in general it
>is to get a CD burner working under linux? I have glanced at the
>how-to, but I really just want to know if I should bother trying
>now, being that I am still a relative newbie.

Pretty easy, but you may need to know how to build your own kernel
and how to compile software.

Do more than glance at the HOWTO, because it tells you exactly what
you need to know. You need to have a kernel that supports the "sg"
(SCSI_GENERIC) device. I don't think the kernel you mention supports
sg, but you can easily find out by "cat /proc/devices". If it's
supported, it'll show up. Here's what shows up mine:

linux% cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
   1 mem
   2 pty
   3 ttyp
   4 ttyS
   5 cua
   7 vcs
  10 misc
  14 sound
  21 sg
  29 fb
  56 adb
128 ptm
136 pts

Block devices:
   1 ramdisk
   2 fd
   3 ide0
   7 loop
   8 sd
  11 sr

If it's not supported, you'll need to build your own kernel. It's
pretty easy, and there are many places you can go to find out how to
do it.

You'll need cdrecord and mkisofs (they're part of the same source
tarball, but may be separate RPM's) and you may want mkhybrid, which
will allow you to burn CD's with Mac HFS information on them. I
don't know whether these exist as RPM's, but they're easy to compile
if not.

>I have CS1.1 installed on a beige G3 tower, and I have not changed
>anything important enough to make a difference in this matter. The
>kernel is 2.2.6-16bpmac, and the burner I was to connect is an
>external SCSI burner from LaCie (it is really a Sony CDU948S). How
>hard would it be for me to install it, and get software to burn
>(mostly audio but the occasional data) cd's?

Installing it and using it as a CD-ROM is dead simple. Shut your
machine down, plug drive into the external SCSI port (first making
sure that its SCSI address doesn't conflict with any other SCSI
devices you have, including anything internal), and Linux will notice
it when it comes up. To use it as a burner, though, AFAIK you'll
need sg support.

Mine is a LaCie with a Yamaha CRW6416S, and it works great. It's
much easier burning CD's (even Mac hybrid CD's) under Linux than
under MacOS.

--
Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com