Re: CD Burning

Subject: Re: CD Burning
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 22:08:46 MST

Phil Kirschner wrote:

> Hey all. Could somebody just tell me how complicated in general it
> is to get a CD burner working under linux? I have glanced at the
> how-to, but I really just want to know if I should bother trying now,
> being that I am still a relative newbie.

It's not terribly complex to get working. You'll need to use the
following to eliminate the shmget error.

The simple solution is to change the value of the kernel`s shared memory

 maximum to something higher. It should be noted that RedHat`s i386
 distribution has this set to 16megs. Anyway, in order to fix it, you
can
 solve it two ways:

 1) Temporary Fix (as needed) - At the command prompt, issue the
following
 command:
 echo `16000000` > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

 2) Permanent Fix - Edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and put <echo
 `16000000` > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax> (minus the <>). Reboot your
system
 and your shmmax will not be set to 16meg.

 In either solution, feel free to set it to whatever you want, but I
found
 the 16megs works fine.

> I have CS1.1 installed on a beige G3 tower, and I have not changed
> anything important enough to make a difference in this matter. The
> kernel is 2.2.6-16bpmac, and the burner I was to connect is an
> external SCSI burner from LaCie (it is really a Sony CDU948S). How
> hard would it be for me to install it, and get software to burn
> (mostly audio but the occasional data) cd's?

I'm using a LaCie (Sony CDUS) with a beige G3 desktop. I've yet to get
through a session without scsi bus errors. I've been told that it's a
result of a poor scsi implementation on the beige G3s, but I have heard
of people having great success. I'd love to get mine working properly,
but I hesitate to experiment much, since the scsi errors bring down my
system eventually. Let me know how you fare.

--
Neil Jolly
Coming at you from Yellowdog Linux - another MICRO~1 free OS!