Ooh! now I did it, I broke it!

Subject: Ooh! now I did it, I broke it!
BondTrails@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 02:46:59 MST

Hey YellowDoggers,

I think I screwed up my Champion Server real good. Yes, I am a newbie so it
shouldn't come as a big surprise. I wanted to take advantage of khendrick's
java implementation so I downloaded and installed kernel 2.2.14p6 and glibc
2.1.3

Everything was going smooth and dandy until I added the latest XFree86 (XFree
3.3.5 from Tom Rini's site on LinuxPPC) as per the recommendation for the
java implementation. So now when I shutdown and restarted my Yellow Dog (and
had all the services start up) I was not greeted with the familiar Yellow Lab
or the Log-In screen. Instead, I got a compacted Red Hat screen (actually, it
was almost like a wall paper covering only the top half of the screen) for
about 3 secs before switching back to an endless loop of X diagnostic errors
(the usual screen that you get when X fails) and the Red Hat screen.

Now I can't log in because it keeps going into this loop. Anyone know what
could be wrong? if there is no remedy, anyone know how I can get the original
XFree back? Is my only alternative logging on in some text mode that can only
be called from the bootx screen?

I want my Yellow Dog BACK! (because reformatting would really suck)

Bondster!