Re: Ooh! now I did it, I broke it!

Subject: Re: Ooh! now I did it, I broke it!
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 11:05:19 MST

Hi,

Don't re-install. Simply fix the problem.

First whenever you play with X it is a good idea to stop booting directly
into X11.

So add the word single to the BootX additional kernel args and boot into
single user mode.

Then edit /etc/inittab and change the default runlevel to 3 and not 5.

Also while you are at it, run the following command:

Xautoconfig

Then shutdown and restart without the "single" in BootX.

This should get you to the console.

At the console, type startx

X11 should start. If it does not, simply copy down the error messages you
see after the startx attmept and mail them to the list. We should be able
to see what is wrong from the error messages.

Kevin