RE: Parity error - passing arguments to the Kernel to ignore cert ain drives Q.

Subject: RE: Parity error - passing arguments to the Kernel to ignore cert ain drives Q.
From: Blottman John B III NPRI (BlottmanJB@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 07:35:32 MST

Abdon,
I cannot provide a solution for your problem, but I can offer a workaround.

I too have similar problems with a Beige G3 and an Adaptec PCI-SCSI
controller. (mine is the 3940UW). It uses the aic7xxx driver. The kernel is
not 'stalling', but entering a loop in which the scsi bus is being reset,
and timing out. I have never found a solution to this. I posed my problem
to the aic7xxx mailinglist group: AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.org, but without a
response. I tried various upgrades to the kernel, upto 2.2.14pre9 (ydl ships
with 2.2.6) which include updates for the aic7xxx driver, without success.
See http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.html

To work around the problem, I rebuilt the kernel with the aic7xxx device
defined as a module. That way the kernel boots. I just cannot access the
drives off the Adaptec card under Linux. The mac OS can still use the
drives. This is a big disappointment for me, but may be ok for you.

re: Why is the kernel recoginizing the Adaptec 2940UW as the primary SCSI
bus rather than the built-in MESH?
Linux identifies devices differently from unix. The first device loaded is
identified as :0. The device drivers are loaded alphabetically, so Adaptec
comes before Mesh.

Good luck,
John