newbie, issue with qmail

Subject: newbie, issue with qmail
From: Ivailo Djilianov (i.djilianov@ulpia.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 02:31:20 MST

Hi all,
hope someone can help me with this one...
I installed qmail on my YDL CS 1.1 BWG3/300, following the instructions in
Life With qmail. Yet when I try to start /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start, an
error comes up:

[root@mymachine ivo]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start
Starting qmail: svscan.
[root@mymachine ivo]# env: svscan: No such file or directory

it seems the startup script can't find svscan. Neither can I, btw. Can you
please tell me what svscan is?
Also, do I need to use the _exact_ same group and user id's for the qmail
daemons and groups, as the ones pointed in Life With qmail? I checked the
scripts, and I think there are no direct calls to the IDs

Thanks in advance

Ivailo Djilianov
System Administrator
Ulpia Investment management Inc.