Please Help with G4 install

Subject: Please Help with G4 install
From: Sean Hogston (it.clt@s1.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 18:08:31 MST

Ok, I might be stupid but I cant get this thing to work.

1st this is my first mac so some of the terms are still new to me.
I have done alot of Linux install on x86 and can just about do them in my
sleep. I trid to load YDL on my new G4 using a second drive but it dosnt
seem to work.

I copied the extension files as described ( the updated ones from the
website )
then i copied the kernal and ramdisk images also.
I launch bootx and it comes up, I tell it to load linux and it seems to
shutdown macos the goes to a black screen that has some stuff about memory
and frame buffer the says "booting..." and that is where it stops. I let it
sit there for a while but nothing happened.

Here is my machine config...
G4 450mhz (AGP)
27g ata with mac os9
10g ata for linux
256meg RAM
ATI Rage 128 16meg
DVD RAM Drive
Built in Zip
No other addon cards

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
Sean