Re: Help! X video problems...

Urs Hochstrasser (hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:40:33 +0200

Hi Carlos,

>Well, after trying to unsuccessfully get X running (or Gnome or KDE) in YDL
>on my S900 I thought I would post my problem to the YDL masses.....
>
>Background info....
>[...]
>X connection to :0,0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
>

>So what is going on here?? Can anyone help me out? I really want to get X
>running on this machine!
On my B&W G3 the only thing which works is using the Xpmac X driver.
This has the disadvantage for me that it doesn't recognize the USB
mouse and I have to use the Artpad instead...
But S900 uses an ADB mouse anyway, I suppose.

So here's how I did it: (I hope my memory serves me right...)
1) In MacOS set the monitor to the desired resolution and depth (I
use 1024x768, 16 bit)
2) 'BootX' into Linux with the 'No video driver' option checked
3) log in as root
4) cd /etc/X11
     rm X
     find / -name Xpmac
     (I found it somewhere at /usr/lib/X11R6/bin/Xpmac, but I am not sure)
    ln -s {pathname for Xpmac} X
    startx

Good luck!

Cheers
--Urs

Urs Hochstrasser hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch
Botanical Institute, Hebelstrasse 1, CH-4056 BASEL
SWITZERLAND Phone +41 61 267 23 07