Catch 22 with Powerbook G3 installation

Graham Leggett (dsngrle@dsn.ericsson.se)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:09:53 +0200

Hi all,

I have run into a problem trying to install YDL on my Powerbook G3.
Because the ethernet doesn't seem to work during the install process, I
am forced to make an attempt to install from harddrive. I copy all the
required files to my Mac, and I attempt an install. It complains
bitterly that a whole number of files are missing during the install.

I check, and yes - there are files missing, files with filenames longer
than 32 characters, and thus not storable on the HFS partition I copied
them to. YDL doesn't yet support HFS+, so I can oly conclude that
installing via a harddrive partition at the moment is impossible, and
the only option is CD.

Am I right? Is there any chance this will be fixed soon, either by
reducing filename lengths or by supporting HFS+?

Am I missing something blindingly and embarrassingly obvious that would
fix my problem?

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon