X Video problems solved!

Velasquez, Carlos (carlos.velasquez@ssmb.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:27:28 -0400

Y'all,

Well, I finally figured out why I couldn't get X windows running. Turns out
that xfs (the font server was never started--as per the instructions in
YDL's manual; I wonder if that has been fixed yet?) Someone should put this
in the FAQ somewhere:

Once YDL has been succesfully installed, start 'xfs' by hand, (cause the
manual says NOT to have it autostarted, pehaps it should be added to the
init script), then run Xautoconfig or Xconfigurator and voila! X windows is
up and running.

Carlos

P.S. What is the function of 'xdm' ? The manual also states that it
shouldn't get auto-started. I ran it manually and all it does is makes my
screen blink non-stop and disables my keyboard. Should this command be
issued within X?

P.P.S. Also, X starts up with GNOME as a default, how do I switch it to
KDE??

C.F. Velasquez
Asst. Vice President
Global Database and Technology Division