Re: X on a Powerbook G3 400Mhz

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:53:45 -0600 (MDT)

Graham,

Forget Xconfigurator. It's not going to help on the new powerbooks since
the ATI framebuffer doesn't yet work with the Rage Pro LT that's in this
box, yet.

Here's what you do.... downloading Xautoconfig from
/pub/yellowdog/devel/RPMS on our ftp site.

Install it, and run "Xautoconfig".
Make sure that xfs is running. (Run 'ntsysv' and make sure it's enabled)
Then simply type: startx

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am having a little drama with getting X installed on a PBG3 400Mhz.
>
> During the original Champion v1.0 install, the video adapter was
> incorrectly probed as a:
>
> Name: OFfb MacOS disp
> Memory: 3MB
> Accelerated: No
>
> When the card inside is supposed to be an ATI Rage Pro with 8MB of RAM,
> accelerated.
>
> Upgrading Xconfigurator to 4.2.3-3a has no effect.
>
> Is it possible to run X on a Powerbook?
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> --