99PBG3 modem from YDLinux minicom (complete)

Vis. (skinner@custer.jhuapl.edu)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:05:57 EDT

I am trying to use my 99PBG3 internal modem under YellowDogLinux.
As a simple starting point I am using minicom to see if I can access
the modem and do something simple like dialing out.

I received advice that the correct device was either /dev/ttyS0 or
/dev/ttyS2. With minicom -s I can successfully change back and forth
between /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS2.

With /dev/ttyS2 I get an error message: "cannot open /dev/ttyS2: No such
device" -- even though it is clearly listed there in /dev/

Meanwhile, minicom doesn't object to /dev/ttyS0 but I can't get
any response from the modem. First of all, to see my typed characters
at all I have to switch local echo to ON. Then I can see my "AT" or "ATZ"
string appear on screen but I get no "OK" back from the modem.
The minicom status line always says OFFLINE even though the screen
reports "Initializing Modem" on minicom startup.

So my problem could be I still have the wrong device, or it could be
with my minicom settings. The only default I changed was the device
(as described above). I would greatly appreciate any help with this
matter.

Thank you,

Andrew
skinner@welkinresearch.com