Re: FW: trouble with x on a blue g3

Paul Oertel (tengu@mb.kcom.ne.jp)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 06:15:38 +0900

Carlos,

I did essentially what you said but I didn't use -U. I didn't run xfs
either. I ran Xautoconfig which got it almost right. Then, as Dan Burcaw
suggested, I changed the unix/:-1 to unix/:7100.

This works great for me. But it seems that if I changed my bit depth while
in MacOS I have to start again with Xautoconfig. I don't change my bit
depth often so I think I can live with that.

Paul

At 10:59 AM 99.7.19, Velasquez, Carlos wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I had the same exact problems. First thing you should know is that on YDL's
> errata page, the downloads for the XFree86 rpms are non-existant. They have
> links for 3.3.3.1-29 but only the 3.3.3.1-37a exists. Download those from
> ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/updates/champion-1.0/RPMS/
>
> You will have to do an rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps to get them installed
> properly. Then you do your Xautoconfig to set up your parameters then
> finally, you run 'xfs' or the X Font server (according to the YDL manual,
> that service is not started automatically, thus the error
> _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111 failed to set
> default font path 'unix/:-1' comes up)
>
> Now you should be able to execute 'xstart' and all your X problems should go
> away.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Carlos

ComiConnection --> The ultimate guide to DC Comics
www.shirokuma.com/comiconnection/
pbearpro@mb.kcom.ne.jp