Re: WHat is xdm?

Reid Ellis (rae@tnir.mef.org)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:36:40 -0400

Thus spake Velasquez, Carlos (carlos.velasquez@ssmb.com):
> Does anyone know what xdm is and what it is used for?
> How should it be started?
> Should it be started under root only?

xdm is a daemon in charge of putting up a login box on your X Windows screen,
and starting your X Windows session when you log in. An alternate to xdm is,
I think, gdm, which is part of Gnome and, IMHO, quite a bit nicer.

I, too, had the blinking problem at one point, but alas cannot remember how I
fixed it. I think it was a matter of reinstalling X properly.

For more X info, see the Yellow Dog FAQ: http://tnir.mef.org/~rae/ydf.html
It has a whole section on X and problems therewith.

Reid