Re: 'fg'ing a PID

Evan Read (evan@advcomm.co.nz)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:22:53 +1200 (NZST)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Dan Burcaw wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Evan Read wrote:
>

> > A general question for you all.
> >
> > I have logged into an old Linux box (slackware 2.0xxx kernal) and ran
> > rc5des client. Anyways, when I log off, the thing keeps running. I
> > forget what they call that but it is great!
>
> It's called "screen". We ship it with YDL; very handy tool.

so the program called "screen" is what is keeping the Rc5des cleient
running even thouigh the shell that launched it logouts?

Itsn't a program that doesn't die when your shell logs out called a
"daemon"?

> > Anyways, I would like to foreground it so I can see how it is doing. But
> > I can't work out how to fg it...
> >
> > it has no job number ecause it was launched during a previous login that I
> > terminated. I run "ps -aux" and find the PIDs, but "fg pidno" doesn't
> > work.
> >

> Foreground processes are killed when you logout (of the shell that
> executed the process)

Yeah, but I don't want to kill it. I want to be able to foreground and
background it at will using different shell instances, but the same user.

I ran it. I bg'd it. I loged out.

Next day, I log in. Same user, different shell. I want to foreground
that process. But I don't know what information to feed "fg" to get it to
foreground another (now dead) shell's processes. I am the same user, so I
would have thought I would have permission to do this on my own processes.