Re: 'fg'ing a PID

Evan Read (evan@advcomm.co.nz)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:50:04 +1200 (NZST)

> If you are running sh, ksh, bash or ash, you will have to do this:

I use bash.

> $ rc5des > output 2>&1 &

That really works like a treat. What would be usefull for me is if you
could explain what each element of the statement means and is doing.

> In either case, at any time you can look at 'output' using "cat", "more",
> "less", or -- my favorite -- "tail". "tail" is especially useful if you want
> to watch the output as it goes, by doing this:
>
> % tail -f output

Yeah, I have used tail before. It is cool.

> tail will sit there, watching the file, and print out any new data that
> appears. Note, however, that the output of a program can behave quite
> "chunky" when not connected directly to a terminal [i.e. to a file]. This is
> called "buffered I/O", and is generally a good thing for fast transfer of
> data, but less suitable for text output from a program.

I am not looking for up to the second updates. just every day or so, I
would like to see what the rc5des has dumped to stdout.

> There is no way that I know of to hook up your terminal to an arbitrary
> process's output. But hey, you have *all* the source, so anything is
> possible, right? :-)

strange this facility isn't readily available... someone has probably
done something for X... who knows... not important...