CS 1.1 and PM 7200

Radar O'Reilly (nathan.willard@yale.edu)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:48:16 -0400 (EDT)

Has anyone else tried to install Champion Server 1.1 from CD on a 7200?
(2 gig drive, with a 500M linux partition and 96 megs of RAM)

BootX 1.1.1 seems to be giving me problems. When I launch the app, with vmlinux
and ramdisk in the appropriate places, after selecting "Linux, it shuts down
MacOS and starts booting into linux. I get a screen with 3-5 lines of bootup
messages, which just ends in "Booting...." and then hangs. This happens with or
without "no video driver" checked (and, of course, booting from ramdisk).

When I try to do it from the Extension, the monitor powers off. I haven't yet
tried to get the output to a serial port (and thence to another computer) to
see if it's actually doing anything, yet, but it isn't behaving, either way.
I've tried it both with the "No video driver" checked and unchecked.

The weird thing about this is that I then tried to install LinuxPPC R4 from CD,
and that version of BootX (1.0b6, I think), vmlinux and/or the ramdisk image
worked fine. I'd rather run the Champion Server (if for no other reason than I
like the install dialogs better; I tried to install CS with the LinuxPPC RH
installer, but, well, I think that would have required more tweaking than I was
in a mood to do =), but I just can't seem to make it happy.

I've tried resetting the PRAM...no go.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Nathan