Re: YDL on powerbook G3s

Daniel P. Hembree (danny-hembree@dynamical.org)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 08:42:07 -0700

At 1:31 AM -0700 7/31/99, Jay Cox wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm in the market for a linux portable and I'm thinking of going with
>one of the new powerbook G3s and installing yellow dog on it.
>
>It's primary use will probably be gimp development and all that
>entails (xemacs,
>gcc, email, cvs, gimp)
>
>Before I go ahead and by this system I'd like to find out how well
>linux supports
>the PB G3 (99 model).
>
>What is the typical battery life under linux?

The various sleep modes don't seem to be supported.

>Do the built in ethernet and modem work?

work fine.

>Can I attach and use a fullsize keyboard and 3 button mouse?

yes

>Can I use an internal zip drive?
>
>How stable is the kernal on this platform? How stable is the X server?

Mine works great, there are issues of course. The kernel is very
stable. Xwindows is a bit difficult if your looking for performance.
Apple uses the ATI graphics hardware which is difficult to support.
Intel Linux users are faced with the same issues. It's not difficult
to get up and keep up if you just stick to simple configurations. To
date the acceleration features of the hardware don't work.

>Are there any gotcha's to consider that might make me want to go with an intel
>based notbook instead?

no