Re: PPP support in YellowDogLinux

Paul Leclerc (pleclerc@yahoo.com)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 07:34:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Evan Read <eread@netaccess.co.nz> wrote:
> when I did: "ln -s /dev/cva0 /dev/modem" (basically
> because Kppp couldn't
> see the modem that is suppored to fix that), kppp then
> reported that PPP
> support was not installed on in Linux.

It seems that ppp is a module and not part of the kernel
itself. Normally, you would type
     insmod ppp (i.e. insert module ppp)

The kernel that I have does not match the modules that I
have so I get an error when I do that. I have to:
    cd /lib/modules/2.2.???/net
    insmod -f ppp ( -f means force it)

The ppp module depends on another module which you will
have to do an insmod on. It's in the same directory as
ppp. When you do the insmod -f ppp you'll get an error
and see what module it needs. You'll need to do this
after each reboot.

After doing this, I can now ppp with no problems.

Paul

===
Paul Leclerc pleclerc@yahoo.com
Work: (208) 396-3097 Home: (208) 442-1047