Re: /dev/mixer

perry (perryp@shore.net)
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:35:05 -0400

>p.s. when using "ls", how does one get it to pause at the end of a screen
>and wait for a keypress? (much like DOS's dir /p). I have checked out the
>man pages but the functionality doesn't seem to exist.

you can pipe the output of 'ls' to a text reader like more. I often use:

        ls | more

...if the output fills more than a screen, hitting space will let you
advance to the next screen.

this is really useful - you can pipe the output of pretty much everything
that used stdout to everything that uses stdin.

-perry