ls, more or less (was Re: /dev/mixer)

Benjamin Karas (bkaras@nls.net)
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:20:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, perry wrote:

> >p.s. when using "ls", how does one get it to pause at the end of a
screen
> >and wait for a keypress? (much like DOS's dir /p). I have checked out
the
> >man pages but the functionality doesn't seem to exist.
>
> you can pipe the output of 'ls' to a text reader like more. I often use:
>
> ls | more
>
> ...if the output fills more than a screen, hitting space will let you
> advance to the next screen.

If you get tired of 'more', you can try 'less'. With less, you can
scroll backwards in multiple ways. Less is also very convenient if you
know the vi commandset, as it uses very similar commands.

                Down Up
Screenful f b
Half-Screen d u
Two-lines e y
One-line j k
Searching /pattern ?pattern
*pattern is a regular expression (man grep)

And of course the biggie: h for help

-Ben Karas

ls -al | less