Re: XFree86-3.3.3.1-37a.ppc.rpm

John L Grantham (jgrantha@hannover.sgh-net.de)
Tue, 8 Jun 99 16:50:26 +0200

Greetings, Roesslet, Bryan W. at RoessletB@missouri.edu! On 8.6.99 4:39
pm, you wrote:

>I'm trying to get the X server working (again) on my beige G3.
>
>XFree86-3.3.3.1-37a.ppc.rpm complains that xterm-color is needed by
>AfterStep, AnotherLevel, and fvwm, but it appears to be installed already.

Try using "rpm -Uvh --forcepkgs --nodeps XFree86-3.3.3.1-37a.ppc.rpm".
It's just whining about something, which RPM is adept at doing.

>Is there a newer version of xterm-color, or am I missing something here?
>
>Granted, I'm a newbie, but doesn't it seem that a knowledgebase or some
>documentation should be included for getting the X server working with YDL?
>It seems unreasonable to ask for me to pay for Web-based installation
>support for something such as this.
>
>Is a public knowledgbase too much to ask for?

You just have to know where to look. :-)

Seriously, there are tons of websites out there where you can get info.
One of the better ones is at
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/1.html, the so-called
FAQ-O-Matic (remember that, in effect, Linux is Linux is Linux, so most
of the time tips for, say, MkLinux will work with YDL). My own website
also has some information and links, though not anything about X servers
in particular.

Also, try looking around the web by starting at
http://www.linuxnewbies.org/ and so on.

cya

John

John Grantham | Dipl.-Designer (FH)