Re: "command not found"

Evan Read (evan@linux.advcomm.co.nz)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:43:52 +1200 (NZST)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, JP Rosevear wrote:

> Evan wrote:
> >
> > <cut>
> >

> > > This may be obvious, and you may have tried this, but have you run
> > > it from the local directory yet? i.e. ./rc5des ? I could never get
> > > the client to run from the command line, most probably since it gets
> > > installed into a non-PATH directory. I apologize if you have done this
> > > already, but it works for me.
> > >
> > not sure of exactely what you mean, but I am running it from the directory it
> > is located in.
> >
> > Something else of note, when it was installed, is belonged to "USERS" group. I
> > changed that to ROOT (and had the same problem).
> >
> > yes, as you can tell, I am trying to run it as root (I haven't been bothered to
> > create enough permissions for my unroot self.
>
> What he means is that when you are trying to run an executable, linux
> will look for the executable ONLY in the directories in the PATH
> variable unless a path is explicitly entered. The '.' means the current
> directory so './rc5des' tries to execute the rc5des program in the
> current directory.

egads!!! that explains alot! where can I add to the PATH variable?

Note that I am running the program in /root (otherwise known as ~/in my
case) so I
think that is in the path.

> If you are using the bash shell (most people do), use tab completion to
> test the shell sees it and it is executable (the shell won't tab
> complete the first thing on the command line unless it is exectuable).

I am using BASH, yes. I tried the autocomplete and it doesn't see it as
an executable.

So, what now, folks?

please reply to : eread@netaccess.co.nz (or reply all), I did this from
work.