Re: Quick questions on Kernals

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:10:58 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Andrew Diller wrote:

> Ok, I need the 2.2.6 kernal which has ppp built in.
>
> the rpm's are in:
> ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/kernel/2.2.6/RPMS/
>
> and the kernals are in:
> ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/kernel/2.2.6/
>

> ++++_+_+_+_+
>
> What good do the kernal RPMs do for me?
>
> The kernal I wish to boot from must be in my MacOS system folder, right?

kernel-pmac*.rpm installs a vmlinux to your /boot directory. Copy this to
the MacOS system folder.

> So i need the kernal files from
> /pub/yellowdog/kernel/2.2.6/
>
> Also, is there a difference between using the linux and gzipped linux
> kernel? Will BootX work with a linux.gz, or must I uncompress it in MacOS
> before boot X will use it?

BootX currently doesn't have support for a gzipped kernel. Read above
though, use the kernel from the kernel-pmac* RPM and not from
/pub/yellowdog/kernel/2.2.6 (I should remove those kernels anyway...)

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
 website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/