Re: Quick questions on Kernals {hfs+ booting}

Evan Read (evan@linux.advcomm.co.nz)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:07:30 +1200 (NZST)

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Andrew Diller wrote:

> Dan Burcaw wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Byron Barker wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe I'm missing something here, yes, I'm a newbie, but doesn't the
> > > vmlinux file have to be in the sys folder on a hfs partition and that a
> > > hfs+ partition will not work for booting?
> >
> > That's exactly right.
> >

> No- I'm booting fine from a HFS+ partition with 8.6. BootX 1.0.1 and 1.0.2
> don't care a bit. It's the whole stock 6 gig ide drive on a Beige G3.
>
> Of course, I can't see much when I mount it in linux.....

Well, Linux doesn't support HFS+ yet (hence I now use HFS).

Without the ability to mount Mac partitions, i would be screwed ;)

ANyways, you never know what kinda of shit can happen when you go the
unsupported filesystem route ;).

As far as I know, as long as Linux and MacOS don't have to play together,
you don't have to worry ;)

--
Evan Read

Advanced Communications Level 1, 43 Montgomery Square Nelson

Ph: +64-3-546-9169 Fax: +64-3-546-9170 Web: http://www.advcomm.co.nz