modem troubles on B&W G3

aibeaton@ca.ibm.com
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:16:19 -0400

I am unable to get any response from the modem on my B&W G3 (an Apple 56K
Internal Modem).
I have tried devices /dev/cua0, /dev/cua1/, dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1. Using any
other devices gives me a device not found error.
No other serial devices appear in dmesg

I have tried checking the parameters on both ttyS0 and ttyS1 using setserial,
and neither appear to be configured as a modem.

I guess I have several questions here.
Is the modem on the B&W a serial device?
Have I missed a necessary step to link /dev/ttyS# to an actual physical object?
Have I hosed the settings for /dev/ttyS# while pricking around?

All advice appreciated.
     -Andy

Andy Beaton
IBM Toronto Lab