Re: Compiler performance?

Marc Campbell (campbma1@mail.northgrum.com)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:53:09 -0400

JP Rosevear replied:
> > [1] Absoft Compilers: http://www.absoft.com/
> I only see Intel versions listed on their pages and I assume its not
> GPL'd so you can't use their stuff.

Absoft C/C++ & Fortran compiler BACKEND on PowerPC.
  --> http://www.absoft.com/pro.mac.html <--
Absoft compiler FRONTEND on Linux.
  --> http://www.absoft.com/newlinux6.0.html <--

To rephrase the initial question,

Q1. Does Absoft (or Metrowerks) have a performance or language compatibility advantage over stock PPC/Linux tools? Or, what would the potential gain be for working with Absoft (or Metrowerks) on a PPC/Linux release?

Q2. For a dual boot system, could numerically optimized code be compiled on the MacOS side then moved and linked on the Linux side?

Q3. What compiler roadmap has the potential to achieved maximum *performance* on a G4/AltiVec? GPL would be nice, but in this case performance is job #1.

Thanks.

--Marc