Re: X Server Problems

jacobs@azstarnet.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:00:08 -0400 (EDT)

> Fatal server error
> fbdevUpdateColormap: FBIOPUTCMAP failed (function not implemented)

I had this problem, as well as a general lockup problem (hard lock of
the X server requiring a reboot).

For awhile, I gave up and went to GNOME/enlightenment, but yesterday, I
did the following:
(0) d/l libPropList and WM 0.53 tarballs
(1) make libPropList (./configure;make)
(2) rpm -ev libPropList (to get rid of the RPM that was installed
    with R5)
(3) make install libPropList
(4) make and install WM 0.53

This config has been stable for almost 15 hours (which doesn't seem
long, but is, relative to what I was getting before).

I've tenatively concluded that the libPropList RPM may have a problem
with compiled WM versions. You might want to give this a try.

As far as the screensaver goes, you can put 'xscreensaver &' in
~/.Xclients or ~/.xinitrc, and it will turn off the built in when it
starts up.

HTH,
john.

John S Jacobs Anderson                      jacobs@azstarnet.com