Re: Radically wrong keymap

Subject: Re: Radically wrong keymap
From: Ian Miller (ian-ct@scientia.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 04:53:13 MST

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Cyril Niklaus wrote:
> Ian Miller wrote:
> >
> > My best guess is that it is due to it being a UK and not a US keyboard,
and that
> > the kernel is failing to recognise it.
> I don't think that it matters whether it's a UK keyboard or not.

You are right. The problem was that the instructions in <http://devel.yellowdoglinux.com/rp_kernel.shtml>
are wrong for my machine.

I says that your /etc/sysconfig/keyboard should read:-
KEYTABLE="mac-us-std"
KEYBOARDTYPE="adb"

In fact, I require
KEYTABLE="mac-us-ext"
I suspect that this is what most B&W users are likely to require as well, as I
am using the default keyboard for the machine.
rp_kernel.shtml really needs modifying to recognise that there is decision
here and that recovering from getting it wrong is not easy. It should also
recommend booting to single-user after making the change and checking the
keyboard works before proceeding to a higher init level.

Getting this wrong gives the problem I described. I managed to diagnose this
by putting simple names (for which I knew which keys to hit to type them) into
to /usr/bin to run showkey, gitkeys, dumpkeys, kdbconfig, etc. I finally
ran kdbconfig (this was tricky as I didn't know where the arrow keys
were, or even if I had them), and established the correctly keymap.

Ian