Re: Got Lombard PowerBook

Subject: Re: Got Lombard PowerBook
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 00:06:39 MST

Paul J. Lucas's bits of Thu, 2 Mar 2000 translated to:

> OK, not wanting to wait until Linux is supported on the new 2000
> PowerBooks, I managed to find somebody who had a week-old 1999
> Lombard PowerBook and swap. I'm up and running. Woohoo!
Gratz! For whatever it is worth, I have been quite happy with my 99
PowerBook :)

> Question: upon booting, it starts sendmail and takes a REALLY
> long time. Why? Can I get it not to take so long? (I'm
> presently not hokked up to a network if it matters.)
Not being hooked to the network is almost certainly the problem. When
sendmail comes up it tries to do some name resolution. After kicking
off the lookup, it sets there waiting for a reply. And since there is
no name server to send that reply it has to time out before it can
continue. You can usually correct this problem by making sure that you
have appropriate entries in your /etc/hosts file.

Jim