New kernels won't boot

Subject: New kernels won't boot
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 05:06:56 MST

Hi all,

I have tried downloading and building the latest kernel tree
(v2.2.15pre11) from the linuxcare.com.au site. I have successfully built
and installed it, but when I try to boot from it Linux just hangs.

Is there something special I need to do to get the latest kernels to
boot? I am using bootX v1.1.3 (I cannot find a later version).

After selecting to boot from the kernel, the machine displayes the
penguin and some address information, says "booting..." and then
freezes. Sometime you can hear the drive going, which seems to imply the
machine is booting, but the display is stuffed. Other times I hear
nothing, which seems to indicate a hang.

I am using a Mac Powerbook 1999.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Graham