Odd Lombard Failures ...Please Help!

Subject: Odd Lombard Failures ...Please Help!
From: Jazz Masterson (ctfh@ziplink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 23:24:51 MST

I am beginning to suspect a hardware problem with my Lombard. If anyone could
tell me whether these problems are unusual, I'd appreciate it:

Details: 64Mb RAM, 4Gb hd, 2 HFS partitons, 1 root, 1 swap. YDL 1.1 CS,
totally untouched install, Mac OS 8.6

In Mac OS *or* Linux: The system freezes when attempting to read an external
SCSI device. Needs to be hard-rebooted (using the kill button recessed into the
back of the case). After reboot, if SCSI device is plugged into computer (even
if it's not powered on), the system hangs before the "happy mac."

Neither Linux nor Mac OS can recognize my Epson Stylus Photo 750 printer.
Another machine recognizes it fine, with the same cable.

System hangs on 'booting..." in Linux. Literally; that's all that appears
before it freezes. Or, boots fine, won't start X. The "Mysteriously Murdered"
error. (XConfig seemed to run fine during install.) *Or* X runs fine. No
rhyme or reason to any of these variants. Sometimes it hangs when I "shutdown."
Sometimes not. It won't boot at all in "single" mode, ever. I've never managed
to use it long enough to shut it down gracefully.

I know it isn't just YDL; I've installed and run it on another machine, fine.

I've got the correct partition set in BootX. Triple-checked it.

I've zapped PRAM, reformatted the hard drive *four* times, and I just redid the
Linux partition table, wiped it clean, restarted the installer, and installed a
default system; doesn't boot at all, regardless of whether it's at startup or
from BootX App. :/

To make matters worse, the lack of SCSI access means I can't back my system up
here. I have to travel 200 miles to my office location with an ethernet tape
backup system. Not happening until March 24th or so.

Other Lombard users: Any of this sound familiar? It's still under warranty, I
can have it serviced if it *is* a hardware problem. If. :)

Help?

Thanks in advance...

--
Jazz