Re: bash "set -o vi"

Subject: Re: bash "set -o vi"
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 04:00:56 MST

Hi - This is a Red Hat bug that has wormed its way into YDL. The
/etc/inputrc file sets up key bindings that break the vi command
line functionality. My understanding is that basically Red Hat
doesn't care, since they feel the settings make life easier for
new users *shrug*.

The easiest fixes are to either remove the /etc/inputrc file and/or
create a .inputrc file in your home directory. If you do the latter,
you will probably need to unset the INPUTRC environment variable and
re-source your .bashrc to pick up the change the first time. Either
that or just brute force it by logging out and back in ;)

Jim

Paul J. Lucas's bits of Fri, 3 Mar 2000 translated to: