Re: Best video kernel argument

Subject: Re: Best video kernel argument
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 13:23:39 MST

I am currently using vmode:14,cmode:24,mclk:70 with a 99 PowerBook. The
performance in X is really not bad at all, including Netscape. However,
I did upgrade to 128 MB recently because X, a desktop, and Netscape was
a bit much for only 64 MB. Scrolling in Netscape was similar to what you
mention until I added more memory. If you only have 64 MB and a few bucks
to spare, the upgrade is *really* worth it; I saw a dramatic improvement.

I bought the memory from Crucial Technology (www.crucial.com). They have
a nice little selector that tells you exactly what you need based on
make/model and what I received worked perfectly with the PowerBook.

Jim

Paul J. Lucas's bits of Sun, 5 Mar 2000 translated to: