No root account?

Subject: No root account?
From: Jeff Fayne (spike@jeppo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 18:34:23 MST

I have installed CS 1.1 on a Sawtooth G4 400. I'm running it on a 4
gig SCSI drive, partioned to 1 gig for /, 2.9 gig for /home, and 128
meg for swap. The SCSI adaptor is an ADAPTEC 2930U Powerdomain PCI
card. Everything works well with the install, as long as I boot the
installer with No Video Driver checked, otherwise it has trouble
which is another story.

During bootup I get a few errors which scroll by fairly quickly. I
get a lot of warnings saying /boot/system.map has the wrong kernel
version. I get a login prompt saying (none) login:

No matter what I type in I get a login failed. I booted into single
user mode and tried to change the password. Turns out nothing was
added to the /etc/passwd file and I'm not allowed to make any
changes!!

I am using the latest files recommened for the G4's. Does anyone
have an idea what is going wrong and how I can fix it?

Jeff

--
Jeff Fayne