Permissions for public_html folder?

Subject: Permissions for public_html folder?
From: Reid Anderson (resander@cs.hamilton.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 00:33:54 MST

I am trying to set up a public_html folder on the Linux server here at
Hamilton, and I have the folder set up, and have all the files there, and
have done the following lines:

chmod go+r public_html
chmod go+r ~resander
chmod go+r public_html/default.html

These all go OK, but then when I try to access the site through Netscape (or
any browser for that matter) I get:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~resander/ on this server.
Apache/1.3.11 Server at www.cs.hamilton.edu Port 80

I would simply consult my linux reference text, but I lent it to a friend
for a cs assignment! This isn't urgent or anything, but I would like to
figure this out. This is only a mirror of our site http://g4.hamilton.edu/
which is running on my Mac G4 500 with OS 9. It's fast, really fast! I
turned the G3/300 into a Linux box, but only temporarily until my sister
decides to stake claim to it. I would like to also have this site running
up on that server! That makes one copy on my G4, one on the CS server, one
on the G3, and one on the students web server. That's 4 copies of the same
site running and if you look at the site, it's not at all necessary, but we
did it just for kicks! Check it out and please feel free to give feedback!
It's only in it's very beginnings, but all the framework and some of the
data is there.

http://g4.hamilton.edu/

Thanks!
    Reid