Can't install cs 1.1 from CD on G3 MT

Subject: Can't install cs 1.1 from CD on G3 MT
From: Don Ellis (donls@michelob.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 15:11:37 MST

Bottom line - bought the cs 1.1 CD set and can't get it to install
after multiple attempts. Always get a SCSI bus reset loop part way
through (unless it freezes first). I'm able to duplicate the results
with just about everything I have done so far (monotonous). I'd like
suggestions on what to vary to be able to install to completion.

[After Paul Lucas's occasional problem with SCSI bus reset]
[I'm sending this again, since I don't think anyone saw it the first time]

I've been getting a SCSI bus reset during the install phase, and so
far have had only one "successful" install (but not really).

Your occasional reset problem looks almost identical to mine, except
I get it when I'm trying to install. Are there other details missing
(in cs 1.1) besides:

1) The install and source CD labels are reversed
2) Disk Druid refuses to run if there is a MacOS volume anywhere on
the system, not on any particular drive (is it ever possible to run
Disk Druid? I thought a MacOS volume would be required to run BootX.)

Long story - I have been trying to install cs 1.1 on my G3 minitower
and fairly consistently get the system to freeze up during the
install. By installing fewer options, it seems to get further than
when I install more options. Checking for bad blocks during the disk
format results in a freeze during the format. One time I was able to
get the install to complete, but had massive errors during startup.
Once it had started, there was not quite enough of a system to accept
a login.

I am trying this with a 2G Quantum and a 1/2 G Quantum, both of which
seem to work ok for booting MacOS. When I do a hard reset to get out
of the infinite loop, I can't boot and have to boot the system and
start SilverLining with the drive off. Takes a couple of tries to
format the drive again.

Drives on the system:
IDE internal HD
IDE internal CD
2G on SCSI 1
1/2 G on SCSI 2
3G on SCSI 3
zip on SCSI 5
jaz on SCSI 6

I saw an item about trying to install MKLinux with an empty
removable, so I tried inserting cartridges before the install. Not a
lot of difference.

I have VM turned on in the control panel. I've been using BootX
1.1.1, and haven't tried installing from v1.1.3 yet.

I thought I had read the fine manual pretty thoroughly. I would like
to see a checklist of common problems and conditions that need to be
met before an install can proceed.

I'm supposed to be writing docs on this, not struggling to get it to happen!

Is it common to be able to do the first install without having bought
the service contract?

Right now, my only PPCs are an 8100 and a G3 MT. Thinking about
getting a 7600 or 8500, so I can switch between MK and PPC. MK went
in really nice, except that the startup manager utility really didn't
work.

Help! I want to be able to run Yellow Dog, and be in the exclusive
group of Yellow Dog users.

A portion of my transcript (manually recorded):
<4>scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3133, scsi0, channel
0, id 1, lun 0 0x08 08 77 34 80 00
<4>mesh_abort(c033e600)
<4>mesh: state at c033ea78, regs at d01ba000, dma at d01bc000
<4> ct= 0 seq= c bs=6000 fc= 0 exc= 0 err= 0 im= 7 int= 0 sp= 2
<4> dma stat=e0 cmdptr=bfd0010
<4> phase=0 msgphase=0 comm_tgt=1 data_ptr=0
<4> dma_st=0 dma_ct=0 n_msgout=0
<4> target 1: req=c033e600 goes_out=0 saved_ptr=0
<4>SCSI host 0 abort (pid 3133) timed out - resetting
<4>SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
<4>mesh_reset 2
<6>mesh: SCSI bus reset detected: waiting for end...done