Re: Check it out!

Subject: Re: Check it out!
From: Reid Anderson (resander@cs.hamilton.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 23:45:46 MST

The CS RedHat site tends to be a bit quicker, but that's ok, it's on a
100Mb/s line, and I am on a 10Mb/s line! But not for long! It's good to know
people in the right offices! The network guy here is a friend of mine and he
is going to move my jack to the switch in the dorm so I don't have to share
the 10Mb line with the rest of the dorm, I get to share the 100Mb! The G4 is
running OS 9 and right now it's just using Apple Web Sharing! I am going to
experiment with a few others (Microsoft Personal Web Sharing, CommuniGate,
QuidProQuo). I would rather use a background server (like the Web Sharing
extension) rather than an application, just because it's easier to manage
other apps without having some that are there all the time! I am also trying
to invest in a small SCSI drive (external or internal) to put the server
stuff (the web and email servers) on for faster access times. I would also
put some of the high demand apps on it for better performance. Nothing big
needed, probably just 2GB. Is an external or internal SCSI drive going to be
that much faster than the Apple UltraATA/66 drive that is in the G4?