Re: Can't install cs 1.1 from CD on G3 MT

Subject: Re: Can't install cs 1.1 from CD on G3 MT
From: Ian Miller (Ian_Miller@home.scientia.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 02:47:35 MST

>Long story - I have been trying to install cs 1.1 on my G3 minitower
>and fairly consistently get the system to freeze up during the
>install.

I had a similar but not identical problem. My B&W G3 will not boot with
the USB-ZIP drive plugged in. It boots 2.2.6 and 2.2.12-2 okay (albeit the
keymap setting are different and mutually incompatible; use the wrong one
and you get a non-sense keyboard). 2.2.14 boots but both the keyboard and
mouse are completely dead. 2.2.15 does not boot at all, it hangs the
machine with MacOS screen still up.

My conclusion is that not only are some of the drivers not fully working
but they are still inclined to take the whole machine with them.

I would recommend unplugging every device not necessary for actual booting.
Leave the keyboard, mouse, CD and one hard-disc, and disconnect everything
else. See if you can boot then. Consider using the 2.2.12-2 kernel off
the updates disc, instead of 2.2.6. [I don't think that either is more
likely to work than the other, but they both worth trying.] If you can
boot at all, add devices one by one and see what will run.

I have found that there is no version that will access either the ZIP drive
or the printer. As such my Linux installation isn't up to being used for
anything serious yet. I will try further kernels as they become available.
However as the most recent kernels are worse, I think it may be quite some
time before things get better.

Ian