X & Video probs on G3 A-I-O

Subject: X & Video probs on G3 A-I-O
From: John Boyarsky (jboyarsky@ftyukon.yfsd.schoolzone.net)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 10:26:33 MST

Well after another 20 tries i STILL cannot get YDL up and running. First
off Thanks to whoever told me to make the USR partition bigger, that
kinda worked and I cen get past the mouse config problem.

But NOW I cannot get past XConfigurator. Here's what happens:
Settings: Mac set to 800x600, 24bit before starting BootX. It's G3
All-In-One with 6mb Vram on ATI Rage (1 or II) chips.
    I go thru install, and get thru where it tells me tto set "/sda7"
and boot partition in BootX. that's all fine and good. Then XConfig
identifies my video as Mach64, etc. I hit YES or No (because it fails
BOTH with and without "No Video Drivers" checked in bootX.) and it
starts to install something, but immediately gets an error in
XConfigurator install. In that half second I can see it trying to start
installing fbdev or something like that...

Upon restart, i get
"Warning:unable to open an initial console
kernel panic: No init found. Try passig init=option to kernel"

Again i get the same thing with and without "No video Driver selected in
BootX"

other info: Partitions--> 128m/swap, 10m/boot, 400m/root, 200m/home,
400m/usr, 159m/var, 100m/tmp. I had it up once before, but never
since...

John Boyarsky
Still a newbie, but hoping to get things running and get over that...