Re: Upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2

Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 02:37:06 MST

>Right now I am configuring my G3/300MT for Linux. It has a 4GB SCSI drive,
>so I am partitioning it with 1GB for Mac and the remainder (not exactly 3GB)
>for Linux. I have a CS 1.1 Install CD and the Tasty Morsels CD. I am going
>to install 1.1 on the machine and get it configured tonight and tomorrow
>will be getting a small hub for my room in order to have both the G3 and the
>G4 on the same network jack. Will I be able to upgrade to 1.2 when the
>ISO's come out without losing any stored data? Or will I have to create some
>sort of back up for it? Also, what would you recommend for the sizes of the
>various partitions, and how many partitions do you recommend.

I've tended to use /, /home, and /usr/local and swap obviously

The reason for splitting out /usr/local is that you can put all you hand
installed software there and it's safe from a reinstall. I've got stuff
like apache/jserv installed there.

I tried to make my /home HFS but I ran into permission problems. It seems
that Gnome needs to set the permissions for one of it's config directories
and on HFS you can't change the permissions so it doesn't work.

As for the sizes, I've got 1GB / and just under 1GB for /usr/local. / is
about 70% full and /usr/local is about 13% full, but I should point out
that I've got CS1.0 so your mileage may vary.

One trick that's worth knowing though is that if one of your partitions
fills up a temporary fix is to move a large directory to another partition
and then just symbolicaly link it across. It's not pretty but maybe it's
worth knowing that cause then you can make all your mistakes in one go!
I've got my /home symbolically linked onto /usr/local (I've excluded it
when I quoted usage), because of the mistake I made making /home HFS. When
I reformat the partition I'll be able to just copy stuff back across and
change my mounts with little difficulty.

Maybe my scheme is overkill, but I find it works well for me.

Cheers

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall