Suggestions for FTP Installation

Subject: Suggestions for FTP Installation
From: Darren Shelton (dshelton@wrangler.odessa.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 14:25:31 MST

Let me begin by saying that I do not want this to sound like a 'flame'
because it is in no way meant that way. I am very happy with YDL, I think
that they have done an outstanding job with their releases as well as with
their customer support (ie. Dan on this list). I have 1.1 running on one of
my office machines in my business (network/database support) and am happy
with it serving my mySQL database to the other members of the office. I have
used some of the other ppc linux choice and this is by far the quickest (eg.
turbolinux, linuxppc, etc.).

I wanted to install champion-1.2 on one of beige G3's to use it as an
internal web server for development of some of the sites for my clients, but
i am running into some difficulty. I am trying to do the install via FTP as
the subject indicated and have met with considerable resistance from the
remote servers. I always seem to get the 'bad server response'. Pardon my
french, but what the hell is the response as the installer doesnt tell me,
nor does the alternate screens command-f3 nor command-f4. It would be very
'nice' if the install errors were shown during an installation attempt, and
if the process of installation was somewhat more customizable. I.e. the
initial 1.1 install i tried was from a iso image that i burned from
download, only i erred and burned it as a macintosh volume instead of an iso
image. The installer did not like that and told me i did not have a ydl
installation tree, when in fact i did. If i had been able to 'point' to the
actual dir on /dev/hdc then i would not have had to repeat the process of
downloading the disk image again and the burning a new cd with the iso9660
format. (I know, I know, You are saying well if you did it right the first
time, you wouldnt have had to download the image again.) Also something else
that would be kinda nice, especially for the college students (that are
sometimes short on cash for purchasing from YDL) would be an installation
guide for other install options, besides the only guide i could find for
installing from cdrom.

Thanks,
Darren

P.S. If anyone has any suggestions in helping with the ftp install for me, i
would be eternally grateful. I am ready to order the cd's when they become
available, but to my knowledge they are not available yet. I didnt really
want another 1.1 server running since, the 1.2 has been released, but i
would like to get it running as soon as possible.